2 lbs ground beef
1 large green pepper, diced
1 large onion, diced
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/3 cup chili powder
2 15.25 oz cans red kidney beans
1 28 oz can diced tomato
1 6 oz can tomato paste
3/4 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 bay leaf
Ground red pepper or hot pepper sauce
- In a 5 quart saucepan over high heat, cook ground beef, green pepper, onion and garlic, stirring frequently.
- Stir in chili powder; cook 1 minute. Drain liquid from kidney beans into meat mixture; reserve beans.
- Stir in tomatoes with their liquid, tomato paste, water, salt, sugar, and bay leaf over high heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low and cover, simmering for 45 minutes.
- Stir in reserved kidney beans. Add ground red pepper or hot pepper sauce to taste.
- Cover and simmer another 15 minutes to blend flavors. Skim fat from chili and discard bay leaf.